Sunday, November 18, 2012

DFSA

We received test #2 on Friday, a bit relieved that the marks were adjusted, but it also shows me that I need to brush up on proofs of recursive algorithms. So I'm hoping to make some time to review and revisit parts of that material before this week ends. I think, as mentioned earlier that the first question really was a bit off-putting due to not remembering a simplification for the harmonic series. ah well. Another thing about the test the I think my section will miss out on is correctness proofs. I will look to brushing up on that as well.

The new material on deterministic finite state automata, for whatever reason seems much easier to understand, especially the proof, in comparison to correctness proofs of algorithm. I think it has to do with the fact that it's visual. Perhaps even correctness proofs for all code should be presented with a visual version as it seems much easier to understand (esp. for those of us who it takes a little bit longer to process what the code is actually doing). Even reading the proof in 7.3 for correctness were a breeze compared to chapter 2 topics.

The topics of languages is also very interesting too, and I wish more CSC courses would focus on history of computer languages, and construction of computer languages, instead of being force-fed languages such as Java, Python, etc.

I hoping to also start my slog problem/investigation soon. Perhaps it will be on automata :).

No comments:

Post a Comment